Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Simple Sprouts

Liz got me thinking after the last post about the wonders of sprouting. This is something that I have done before but had forgotten (do we see a pattern here?) about it.

I found a great guide to help me get back on the sprouting bandwagon.

There are some great sprouting containers out there and I thought about spending 12 euros but then decided against it. I had great success last time with a jar and a fabric cover, so why purchase more 'stuff'.

The only thing I need was some muslin to put over the top. Everything else was already here. As I didn't want to buy a great length of fabric, I figured that some hankies would do the trick just as well. I particularly like the Nanna-esque style of these.

 





These little jars are now on the kitchen bench waiting to be emptied and rinsed later this evening. In a few days we should have lovely fresh sprouts to add to our sourdough sandwiches.

Do you sprout? What do you sprout? What method do you use?

Take care

10 comments:

  1. I used to sprout as a kid with my mum. It was great fun. I think I'll have to try it out too.

    I just had a question about how you steam your sourdough? Do you use a tray of boiling water in the base of the oven? I'm a little perplexed about this. I think I've read far too many different suggestions today. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't steam it as such. I just rub a bit of water over the loaf before I put it in. I went to a sourdough course and the lady that ran it (http://www.wildsourdough.com.au/) used a spray bottle to put a mist of water over the bread. I know the cityhippyfarmgirl uses steam, but I know what you mean about the confusion. I just need someone to say "You do it this way" without all fo the variations.
    Good luck.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great! Thank you. I'm about to heat up the oven and pop them in. That helps. I'll keep you posted. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, I can't wait to see it.
    I cooked a loaf tonight using a steam bath in the bottom of the oven. I'll let you know how that worked when I have it for breakfast. I am thinking scrambled eggs on sourdough.
    Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoo! The steam bath is a little trickier but I do like the result.
    Thanks for the confidence booster this morning!
    Scrambled eggs on sourdough. Great idea, that's me tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your loaves look fabulous. It is such a buzz learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J, the hankies are really easy to get the water into the jar through but really tricky to drain out through. I do love the look of them though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post...I love to sprout green lentils and eat them every day, sprinkled on my peanut butter toast and then with other meals during the day. I add them to curried, stews and soups too. I do eat them whole as soon as they've sprouted too...the improved food value is there once they have sprouted so tuck in!
    xxx
    coffeee/Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, I love lentils. I had some in a stew yesterday but have never sprouted them. They should yummy on peanut butter. I must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...