Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Prinzessinnengärten

After nearly two months of not having a garden of my own and noticing that my fingernails are constantly clean, I was feeling the urge to get out of doors again and into a vegetable garden. 

We are feeling fairly settled in our Berlin apartment and I have been looking for a community group to get involved in so I can to get out and meet people. It would be so easy to just keep to 'us' and not contribute to the neighborhood. Becoming part of the community is such an important part of this whole overseas experience for me, otherwise I may as well have just stayed home.

A few weeks ago I came across this amazing community participation garden, called Prinzessinnengärten, not too far from where we live. I love the history and philosophy behind this place. 





Twice a week there are community planting days, so last Saturday I covered myself in sunscreen, grabbed my hat and went along.




I was a little anxious at first, just like being back in Year 1 again, but this time a little different as I didn't speak the language. We were given the job of picking cabbage moth eggs and caterpillars from the kale, which was a very relaxing way to spend an hour or so. Quite a few people were bilingual, which was lucky for me. I did go along thinking that I may be the only non Deutsch speaker so it was a welcome surprise to be able to chat while I picked. 

Off to the next job.




With shovels in hands, three of us headed over to the compost bays to start layering some of the older compost in with some of the not-so-composted vegetation. Compost is something that I love tending to so I was happy to get right into it. The worms are a personal favourite and always bring a smile to my face. They were working busily and it almost felt wrong to disturb them. At least we were providing them with a new food source.

The afternoon tasks were complete and lunch at the cafe was calling me. I am not exactly sure what it was, but I can tell you it was delicious. The main part was made from the beetrrrot out of the garden and was a bit like a stew. This was topped with potato that had been mashed with some salt and pepper, along with a delicious addition of coconut cream.  It was so nice to eat this under the shade of some trees with a girl that I met on the day. 



It felt satisfying to wander home with some dirt under my fingernails.


Take care


Don't forget the giveaway.

5 comments:

  1. I think it is wonderful the way you are throwing yourself in the deep end. You're very brave - I too would find it like back in primary school! Looks like it was well worth the effort (as most good things are). cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you. I think it's great that you are out there finding like minded people and actively seeking out what you love to do despite being in another country. Enjoy that dirt under your finger nails and I hope there are many more days like this one in the months ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, it was a lot of fun and a great way to get out and meet people. Now that I have made the first step it will be much easier to go back. I actually wish I could go more often.

    CHFG, Berlin is such a forward thinking city and there are interesting community events all the time about sustainability and environmental issues. It is just a matter of me finding these and translating the information. There is so much to do especially with the weather being so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great day...and what a lovely looking garden!

    i'm glad you are settling into Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a beautiful:day and hopefully tomorrow will be stunning too. Heading for mainly sunny and 24 degrees so should be lovely. I need to go back and visit the worms.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...