Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Getting People Thinking

It really is true that actions speak louder than words.

Since I have changed my way of thinking towards sustainability and consumerism, my behaviour towards 'things' and waste has obviously changed too. The type of food we eat, product packaging we buy and 'things' we accumulate (or more accurately don't accumulate) are noticed by others. I don't mean this in an holier than thou way, but subtly.

As a positive result, I find that it is starting to rub off on others. So much of living a little greener is about awareness. There are so many issues that until only a few years ago I hadn't really thought about. I earned money, I could buy things, I could put my rubbish in the bin and it then became someone else's problem.

It is great to see others starting to think too. Gavin's latest post made me think about my own situation at work. It is really nice to get a response from someone about how they now think about their waste a little more. Food can be composted, paper and cardboard can be recycled or composted, and juice boxes really are the work of the devil. By doing what you really believe and committing yourself to it, other notice and start to ask questions. There is no need to stand on a soapbox and preach. Giving people information, when asked, is a great way to make a change. I feel that Gandhi's quote "Be the change you want to see in the world" is relevant. I want a world that cares about its people and environment, and I hope that my actions may help others think about that too.

There are so many fabulous people out there who inspire me and get me thinking.

Who gets you thinking?

Take care

6 comments:

  1. That is my favourite quotation - I even have a print 'Be the change' on my kitchen wall. My other favourite is 'Every time you spend a pound you vote for how you want the world to be' - so much so that my son, who is a graphic designer, did some postcards with that very saying.

    I enjoy hosting permaculture and other sustainable living courses at our place, as we can then demonstrate to others that you can live a much more sustainable life without donning a hair shirt and living in a cave, and we can respond to their questions, rather than hectoring them!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its definitely a fine line! Sometimes I just can't bite my tongue, especially at work when I see people using paper cups to make coffee when we have a cupboard full of ceramic cups and a dishwasher that runs every night, full or empty, there's no excuse, so I often point out to people that they are welcome to use the real cups. I'm not sure it makes any difference, but it makes me feel better.

    My influences are all these great blogs that I follow. There are so many people out there in blog-land doing more or different things. Like making bread, and natural cleaning products etc etc it gives me so many ideas and encouragement to try to keep changing and improving our lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link BM. As you can tell, it felt great when Kate the coffee lady made a small change for the better.

    Gav x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pomona, that is great that you invite people to spend some time with you to discuss permaculture. It is such a great way to show it off in a real life situation.

    Farmer Liz, what is it with single use items! I just don't understand how people can't see this as wrong. I also think that a hot drink tastes and feels so much better coming out of a ceramic mug rather than a paper or plastic cup. You just can't warm your hands up as well without scolding them.

    Gav, my pleasure. As you say, hopefully she will start stocking fairtrade. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think like Farmer Liz, I'm influenced by a lot of blogs at the moment. There are so many wonderful blogs out there, it's hard not to be inspired by the people behind and what they are doing, (you included young lady :-)

    As for single use items... it hurts just seeing people use them. Individually packed cheese, drinking yogurt, tiny packets of crap biscuits...oh I could go on, but its painful even typing.

    Have a good weekend BM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CHFG, I really love the blogging world too. It is so easy to find people with similar interests and beliefs from so many amazing parts of the world. It is great how reading what 'real' people have to say can have such a dramatic influence on what we do.
    'Young lady' - I'm loving this.
    Looking forward to seeing what baking you get up to this weekend.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...