Saturday, August 3, 2013

Food Co-op

After reading a post over at Little Eco Footprints about food co-ops I thought I would have a look around where I live for one. I'm not a fan of shopping (food, clothes, anything)  so the idea of being about to buy the pantry staples without stepping foot inside a supermarket filled me with a feeling of relief.

It didn't take long and I managed to find a group and one of the pick-ups was in the next suburb! It was meant to be. I am now a member of the Read Food Co-op.

The first pick-up was last night and I was really excited to see what was inside the box. (Even though I had ordered each item, that was over a week ago and, as you might know, I have a memory like a chicken.)

There is amazing selection of seeds, nuts, rices, fruits and vegetables (organic and conventional) and more.

With all of the recent chilly weather here we have certainly had our fair share of soups, stews and curries, and a craving for green and crunchy has started to surface. Enter sprouts.  A mix of mung beans, adzuki and buckwheat (bought through the co-op) are soaking on the bench.


Is there a co-op near you?

Take care

PS Just a reminder to have a look into the Earth Carers course if you are interested.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. I've been to the page and had a look and am interested to read a little more.

    My 'weekly' list has gotten a little nuts lately (stuff to do, places to be) so I'm trying to figure out new ways to do things to make them fit. Which is one of those balancing acts, like everything is I guess. :)

    Keen to hear how you find this co-op over the next few orders :) esp quantity, quality and cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy. I was really pleased with my first go. It was so lovely to walk in and find everything I had ordered boxed and ready to pick up in one place. There are some products I probably wont buy through the co-op but in general the prices were good. I found convenience to be one of the biggest pluses.
      I'll let you know how the next round goes.
      I must admit I was really impressed with the organic carrots. I know I will sound like an oldie, but they tasted really sweet, just like when I was a kid.

      Delete
  2. shopping really is the pits isn't it.
    Hope the co-op works really well for you BM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our IGA is always really cold and plays one of the top 40 radio stations which drives me nuts. I end up with one of those songs in my head and its usually there all day.
      I am hoping that between the co-op and the farmers's market, I should be able to keep my supermarket visits to a minimum.

      Delete
  3. Glad you found a local co-op. Thanks for the link :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my second ordered ready to be picked up tomorrow. Very exciting. Just like Christmas.

      Delete
  4. How did I miss all these posts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY happy with our f&v order today - thanks heaps for the link and getting me started :)
    Much appreciated.

    Now, to turn 4kg strawberries into jam...
    yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad. I picked up mine yesterday too. Yum.
      I saw that offer on the strawberries too. Wasn't sure if I could get that many sorted into jam at the moment. Can't wait to hear about how you do with it all.

      Delete
  6. I made jam last night :) It's my version of 'movie night' - just me and a pot and a heap of strawberries lol

    The jam turned out to be very very sweet (too sweet) so I have classed it more as a strawberry syrup, or sauce to have on a dark chocolate tart, plain cheesecake, through plain yoghurt, with cream etc on scones or pancakes...

    so I will keep hunting for a strawb jam recipe that doesn't taste so nutso sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect night in.
      I was washing and hulling strawberries I bought at the Storling market last night. Three trays on the freezer ready to be made into smoothies along with the frozen bananas

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. We had one after school yesterday. Kept that munchies at bay until dinner!

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...