Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekend Reading

I'm not a fan of going shopping. The idea of driving to a shopping centre, finding a parking spot and wading my way through the countless people, who seem to be there for a day's entertainment, makes me break out into a sweat.

As a result The Book Depository has become my favourite book shop.

I go through phases of online book-shopping and will end up with quite a few titles at once. Late last year, after reading The Greening of Gavin, Affluenza was one of the titles that made its way into my shopping cart. This 30 degree Sunday afternoon was the right time to bring it to the lounge with me for the afternoon.


I have only just started it but I am really enjoying what Clive Hamilton has to say: more stuff does not make you happier. I also love that it is written about the Australian way of life.

I am also reminded of The Story of Stuff, in particular the part about the work/shop roundabout that so many people find themselves on, buying more things to make themselves happier but then needing to work more to buy more stuff.


I must admit that books seem to be my 'stuff'. These seem to be the things that I buy, but I figure that I generally keep them, and quite often re-read them, or pass them on to others. They never end up in the bin.

I would love to know what other people are reading.

Take care

9 comments:

  1. I love the Story of Stuff. Did you do the book too, or just the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to movie. I hadn't even realised there was a book. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all too true isn't it? Affluenza I mean. I haven't read it, but DH has just read (amonst other things lately) Requim for a species by Clive Hamilton. I guess, roughly speaking, if you combine the two = we just have too much stuff and life is two short!
    BTW - good to hear that you received parcel ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book. The first time I read it was the beginning of many changes in my life. Enjoy, it is a hard book to put down and hard to forget or ignore the message. Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I'll have to look out for that book. Thanks. I have so many books on the go at the moment it's not funny, and I'm not managing to get through any of them.
    One of them that might interest you though is Radical Homemakers. Much head nodding and u-huhing from what I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duchess I think that the older I get the more I understand this way of thinking. I really feel like we should all be spending time DOING rather than spending time SPENDING. I think I will try his other book when I have finished this one.

    Wendy, it is hard to put down. The only was I managed to do it last night was when I fell asleep. Fabulous message.

    cityhippyfarmgirl, it is worth looking for. The first chapter is linked from the word Affluenza in the post.
    Radical Homemakers is a book that I have seen for a while now. I have read mixed review so wasn't too sure. I will now certainly keep my eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just read 'Living the Good Life' by Linda Cockburn. Fascinating glimpse into an Aussie family's attempt to live self sufficiently for 6 months. It was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've totally been having my eye out for a copy of radical homemakers, too. Some of the reviews have talked about her claim that you can go without health insurance. I don't know about all that, but a lot of the rest of the book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cath, thanks for the book tip. That is another one that I have had my eye on. I read their blog from time to time.
    http://lintrezza.blogspot.com/
    It would be a wonderful thing to try - living self-sufficiently.

    HGF, I get the impression that going without Health Insurance in the U.S. could make things difficult. I think the U.S. and Australian health systems are quite different. I will certainly need to try to get a copy.

    Thanks to you all for the book suggestions. ; )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...