Friday, April 1, 2011

Home Grown Fruit is On My Mind

Friday is here already. It is hard to believe it is a week since I last played along with Rhonda and On My Mind.

Since I discovered earlier this week that a tree that has been in my yard for longer than I have been here bears wonderful fruit, I have been thinking about how great it is to have fruiting trees. We also have a grapefruit tree, a lime tree and a couple of blueberry bushes. My parents inherited many fruiting trees and vines when they moved houses. Their yard has lemons, oranges, mandarins, mangoes, grapes and a passionfruit vine.


This passionfruit is about to become topping for my breakfast.

With that many trees, I never seem to leave empty handed.

Take care

6 comments:

  1. How exotic! Here we are lucky to get apples, plums, cherries, and pears. We also have paw paws that are native to the area as are persimmons. But citrus! No. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paw paw sounds pretty exotic to me. Yum.
    I do love citrus and look forward to our lime tree getting a bit more mature. Up to now we have 'harvested' 2 limes. It is in flower at the moment it is in flower so we'll need to see how many will turn into fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are hoping to do or make with the limes? You sound very keen on those. I love them too and I have a tree that is looking beautifully overloaded. Im thrilled to bits. My lemon tree is looking sickly and Im very sad about that. Many of the oranges have split due to the heavy rain, but the cumquats and mandarins look okay. Heaps of marmalade coming up for me.
    What did you top with the passionfruit? Yoghurt at a guess from me. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through My Kitchen Window, we love limes around here. We put it in guacamole, on curries and love this lime tart.
    http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/2007/03/08/1866127.htm
    I even quite like adding the juice to a glass of water.
    That is sad about your lemon tree. My parents tree is covered in fruit. We are now just waiting for them to ripen.
    Heavy rain has not been a problem here. I don't even remember the last time it rained.
    Marmalade sounds wonderful.
    Passionfruit ended up being topped on some Weetbix as I forgot to soak the bircher overnight. Arg! I'm not a huge fan of Weetbix.
    Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love limes as well. I use them in salad dressings,freeze the juice in small quantities to use later and my favorite is lime butter instead of lemon butter. Oh and of course those slices of lemon in a cold Corona. Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! How could I omit the wonders of lime in the top of an ice-cold Corona. Especially seeing as it is still 34 degrees here, and it is supposed to be autumn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...