Well, it worked, sorta.
I let it drain overnight.
The sugar and lemon was added to the drained off liquid and it started to boil. I had it on the heat for quite a while and slowly I could see that it was thickening, even doing the cold saucer trick.
The finished product is not quite as thick I had planned but it still tastes fabulous. I will know next time to let it boil a little longer again. It is quite sticky and not as runny as it looks in the photo. I think the lack of pink may be to do with the fact that I used raw sugar (perhaps).
It is all a giant learning experience. I figure that I didn't even know these could be used for anything a month ago and now we have a jar of Lilly Pilly Jelly.
All fun and games.