Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Using Leftovers


I had one of those moments the other day when I opened the fridge and caught sight of some foods that were on their way out.  Just seeing the combination of a few half used onions, a piece of pumpkin and 4 apricots that were just too squishy made me think of relish.  I very roughly followed this recipe but added the pumpkin and apricots for a little more sweetness. The kitchen smelled heavenly while this simmered away on the stove.
It always feels wonderful turning something that could be destined for the compost into something new. Knowing exactly what is in the chutney is great too.
 I have seen gourmet varieties of caramelise onion relishes in shops for between $5 and $10 for a small and I know that this version came in lower than that.
What do you do with food in your fridge that is soon to be compost?

3 comments:

  1. Very Clever. I too hate waste. I love to come up with an idea to make a meal out of what is at hand and ready to be used NOW. Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The relish is just delicious. We are even having it with some cheese and crackers. Yum
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah, a lady after my own heart. I have been called the Leftover Queen before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...