Saturday, June 27, 2015

Is your favourite cafe responsible?

I don't drink a lot of coffee but when I do I like a proper coffee. Walking around the city I see that there are a lot of people who love coffee, particularly the takeaway kind. Those disposable cups and plastic lids are almost a uniform now that winter is here warming the inside and out. It is estimated that an unbelievable 1 billion takeaway cups and lids are landfilled or littered each year in Australia. That's a pretty scary figure.


The Responsible Cafes program encourages cafes to discount coffee for those customers who bring a reusable cup. Generally the discount is between 30c and 50c but some have been know to discount more. As part of the program, the cafes are placed on a map to make them easier for us to find.

As many cafes are not aware of this program, or Plastic Free July, why not spread the word.

Take care

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Such great idea! I really hope this will be the new standard all over the world.

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hidden plastic in everything from disposable cups to tins and teabags really gets my goat. I have a joco cup a bit like yours, a steel bottle and steel lunchbox for my takeaways and nobody has said no yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...