Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tomato Chutney

I have been really happy with how well the hothouse has worked in getting the tomatoes to turn red. We have already had a great harvest of tomatoes and the warmer weather hasn't even started yet.

As with all pestercide-less gardening, there is always an element of sharing. I don't mind the bugs taking some of the fruit. There were quite a few tomatoes that had spots and bits taken out of, but there is definitely more for me than them.

With the barbecue season fast approaching, our chutney jars were well and truly needing filling. The store bought stuff just doesn't compete.

I am a big fan of roasted tomato chutrny. Unfortunately in the week between making the chutney and writing this post, I have forgotten where I found the recipe.

I remember that it involved halving and roasting the tomatoes.


There was onion, apple, spices and vinegar added but the quantities are a mystery to me now.


As I was giving one of these as a gift, I thought I would use this online label maker that I found via another blog. (I wish I could remember where).

With a few jars in the pantry, I am now ready to clean off the barbie and get some burgers on there.

Take care


Edit - After searching through History I think this could be it. (Minus the sultanas)

Jam Label Makers
I have found a few that may interest you

8 comments:

  1. Tomato chutney....yum! Now I have to remember where I saw the link to the label maker site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious, Linn. I hope you found the new label links I put at the bottom of the post.

      Delete
  2. Well done - growing tomatoes before summer is even here. And even though I cannot eat tomatoes now - I have so many orders for me to make my toamatoe relish - I try to tell these relatives and friends how to make their own but they have been spoilt over the past few Christmas's with to many food goodies as gifts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame about not being able to eat tomatoes.
      I think showing other how to make it is great. 'Teach a man to fish..."

      Delete
  3. Yum!I love the label maker thingy! Will definitely use that for some lemon curd and mango chutney in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your finished product. Yum, I'm sure.
      x

      Delete
  4. So professional! I love those labels. That's such a gorgeous gift jam packed full of home grown love. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really happy with the finished product. Gotta love homemade.
      x

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...