Monday, January 16, 2012

Starting Over

The last few days have gone by in a bit of a blur with catching up on sleep, unpacking cases and going through storage boxes. A 7am trip to the beach for surfing lessons (not me) was a great way to clear those last few cobwebs away.

Getting the vege gardens back up and running is high on my list of things to do. This is a job that will take a while and I feel I really need to tackle it a bit at a time. Two of the garden beds need a lot of manure and TLC before they are healthy enough to be producing delicious veges, but one smaller bed is ready to go. With a little bit of sheep manure added, the plants my Mum had given me were ready to find a new home.


Although these are only small steps, they are steps. I have so many plans for gardening this year but must be patient to get the soil prepared properly. Perth is well known for sandy soil so this is one instance where I really must take time.

How is your garden growing?

Take care

8 comments:

  1. Go little garden! My herbs and one lonely spinach plant are thriving...this year the kids will only eat good old iceburg lettuce so have not replanted my fancies, and a friend has kept me supplied with tomatoes so all good really. Welcome back to Oz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. We have been welcomed back with some rather warm weather.
      I love fresh herbs. These are such a great addition to a meal. Isn't it amazing how different home-grown tomatoes taste.

      Delete
  2. Welcome home, your little garden will be abundant in no time i'm sure. We have a few corn stalks starting to produce and I am eagerly awaiting picking those, I think we'll eat them straight from the garden just as they are, last year they were so tasty and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simone. It feels so good to be getting my hands dirty again.
      The corn sounds delicious. We had a go last year but not overly successful. I bet they'll be fantastic.

      Delete
  3. Glad that you are back! My garden is currently under several inches of snow and ice and solid as a rock thanks to the -21 (-29 with the wind...eek!) C weather here this past week. However, yours looks wonderful! Hope you are having a lovely start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenna. It all feels quite strange.
      It is hard to imagine that amount of snow while we are back to smothering ourselves in sunscreen.
      I'm sure it will all get there bit by bit. It will take patience, which I don't seem to have.
      7am trips to the beach to watch surfing lessons is a pretty good way to start the week.

      Delete
  4. Welcome home! Your vegies will be so pleased, such TLC coming their way. They'll be abundant in no time. My Tomato plants are going insane...although everything out there has wilted over the last two days with these high temps in Melbourne. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big welcome home! I'll bet you are itching to get stuck into your garden.
    Not a lot growing for me, everything seems to be looking a little reluctant, where this time last year the pots were doing ok. I'm still hoping for some lasting summery growth though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I really appreciate any comments you have to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...